Provide a way to access the elements of an aggregate object sequentially without exposing its underlying representation.
-Design Patterns, GoF
1. What different iteration techniques or methods could be effectively implemented using the Iterator?
2. What is polymorphic iteration?
3. How could an Iterator be implemented with a Composite?
4. Does having an Iterator simplify or complicate an aggregate data structure? When is one helpful?
5. What’s the difference between an Internal Iterator and External Iterator? Under what conditions would you use each?
6. How would you implement an internal iterator? Would you use reflection?
7. What protection does a Robust Iterator give you?
8. Should an Iterator be used to filter objects from a list?
9. What protection considerations are there between Iterators and their aggregates?
10. What is a Null Iterator?
Examples – Which are Iterator?
1. J2SE Collection’s Iterator
Imagine you have a Data structure to store an Employee. If the employee is a manager, then (s)he has employees working underneath him (i.e. association). Write both an internal and external Iterator that can invoke the following behavior:
1) Give all employees raises (i.e. employee.adjustSalary(1,000))
2) Notify all managers of a meeting (i.e. employee.notify(“meeting!”))
· Iterator Design Pattern (Data & Object Factory)